The purpose of the Society of Plastics Engineers Scholarship is to provide funding for college scholarships to students demonstrating a high level of career interest in the Plastics Industry.
- Students enrolled at either a four-year college/university or two-year community college degree program (minimum requirements of six credit hours per semester) pursuing a career directly related to plastics (i.e. Plastics Engineering, Polymer Engineering/Science, Packaging Engineering, Material Engineering/Science, Composite Materials and Structures, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or Mechanical Engineering).
- Active SPE student member including active membership in your schools SPE Student Chapter if applicable.
- Applicant has not received or anticipates receiving any other scholarship from the SPE during the current award year.
- Applicants must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.8 (4.0 scale) from the prior school year.
- Applicants must demonstrate a high degree of intent to pursue a career in the Plastics Industry.
College for Creative Studies Mid-Michigan Community College
Delta College Oakland Community College
Eastern Michigan University Oakland University
Ferris State University Saginaw Valley State University
Focus Hope University Schoolcraft College
Kettering University St. Clair County Community College
Lawrence Tech University University of Detroit Mercy
Macomb Community College University of Michigan
Michigan State University Western Michigan University
Michigan Technological University
Other schools inside of Michigan that meet eligibility requirements
To be considered for a SPE Detroit Section Scholarship, applicants must submit a complete application package (electronic copy preferred) by August 6th, 2018 as outlined in the application checklist. Application and all checklist documents must be sent at the same time via hard copy or eMail to the contest Chairperson.
Scholarship awards will range from $500 to $4,000 annually at the discretion of the SPE Detroit Section Scholarship Committee. SPE Student Chapter officer participation can increase the amount of funds awarded. Scholarships are valid for 1-year and recipients must submit a new application each year to be considered for future scholarship awards. All scholarships will be reimbursed once registered transcripts have been received from the university/college showing that all requirements have been fulfilled.
All Society of Plastics Engineers Detroit Section scholarships are rewarded without regard to race, sex, religion, age or national origin. The Society of Plastics Engineers Detroit Section will not award scholarships to applicants whom they deem are not qualified and reserve the right to not award scholarships in any given year as it so chooses.
- Completed SPE Detroit Section Application Form
- Copy of resume showing work experience, school and community activities & honors
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- A 500 word essay (1 page maximum) on your career aspirations in the Plastics Industry
- Two letters of recommendation: one from a teacher or other school official and one from a previous/current employer or non-relative.
Please submit a complete application package (all checklist documents must be sent at the same time via eMail or hard copy) by August 7th, 2018 to:
Tom Miller – BASF Performance Materials
1609 Biddle Avenue
Wyandotte, MI 48192